Lincoln 1860

Lincoln 1860

Monday, June 22, 2009

A Great Source For Lincoln Commemoratives

Many readers of this blog have been asking me for a few months now where they can buy quality Abraham Lincoln commemoratives at prices which aren't too expensive. I mostly direct them to eBay, but prices can be high and the purchaser always takes a risk in dealing with an unknown seller. The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum is another source with a good variety of Lincoln items, but the variety of the things it sells is a bit ordinary.

That's why I'm pleased to have found the online store of The New York Times newspaper. It has high quality and unusual Lincoln commemoratives for sale, including reprints of Times news coverage about Lincoln; reproduction photos of Lincoln; and even some original newspapers and a document signed by Lincoln himself. There are photographic reprints of the Lincoln Memorial under construction as well.

The store has an entire section dedicated to the Lincoln commemoratives. The main "entrance" to the Lincoln items may be found here. Some of the more interesting items, in my opinion, include:

  • A Lincoln commemorative newspaper with introductions by the late David Herbert Donald and the leading Lincoln scholar Harold Holzer. This is the item I've pictured above.

  • A beautifully framed bicentennial item, featuring a reprint photo, newspaper headlines, original stamps, a first day cover, and an original 1909 VDB Lincoln cent.

  • A heart-shaped pendant with the words "All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." These words were attributed to Lincoln after his death by his early biographer and law partner William Herndon. Yes, there are female Lincoln buffs out there! I know many of them.

  • Cuff links for the classy guy, featuring Lincoln's facsimile signature. Slides open to reveal a photo of Lincoln, too.

  • Also for the gentleman who is a Lincoln buff, ties featuring the text of The Emancipation Proclamation.

  • A nice reprint of the 1917 Times photo section featuring one of the most famous Lincoln photos.

  • Finally, an original (and *very* expensive) officer's commission signed by both Lincoln and Secretary of War Edwin Stanton. Very cool. Anyone have $13,500 for me so I can buy it?

These items and more are available at the New York Times online store. I don't want The Abraham Lincoln Blog to become commercial, but I thought I'd pass on the news to readers who might be interested.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your visit to my blog, Geoff, and especially for your Lincoln/Grant insight. I wonder if there would have been any twist in the outcome had Grant had accepted Lincoln's invitation to the theater that night. I will certainly have some blog posts on Lincoln in the near future, and I would love your input.

I was just in DC a week ago, too, and I'm disappointed I missed the Newseum exhibit on the assassination coverage. I definitely intend to see it the next time I'm in town. Thanks for the update on this!

Best,

Claire Lenenski

 
History Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory