Lincoln 1860

Lincoln 1860

Monday, January 14, 2008

First New $5 To Be Spent At Lincoln Cottage


According to this news release, the first newly redesigned $5 bill will be spent on March 13, 2008 at the recently re-open Lincoln Cottage. As my post of November 5, 2007 discussed, the sprawling 34 room mansion on the site of the former Soldier's Home in Washington, D.C. served as President Lincoln's getaway retreat and was the site of his work on the Emancipation Proclamation.

My post of December 13, 2007 discussed the redesigned $5 bill. Sorry, but it still looks like Monopoly money to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I still don't understand the use of the purple and grey color (yes, its used to stop counterfiting) when they could have used blue and grey

Anonymous said...

Great post! FYI, the Soldiers' Home still exists today, though they changed them name officially to Armed Forces Retirement Home (many still call it the Old Soldiers' Home). About 1200 veterans live there today.

Geoff Elliott said...

I didn't realize that the Soldiers' Home is still actively used. Thank you for sharing!

 
History Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory