Lincoln 1860

Lincoln 1860

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Beautiful Lincoln Artwork By Tony Bennett

I found an article online here from the Chicago Sun-Times which tells about a limited edition poster issued by the Ravinia Festival in honor of Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday. The creator of the poster is multiple Grammy winning singer Tony Bennett, who is also a notable artist. The poster is shown in this photo.

The poster will be sold at the Ravinia gift shop. Proceeds will be divided equally between the festival and a charitable organization ("Exploring The Arts") founded by Bennett and his wife, which supports arts education in the New York City schools.

The artwork was previously featured on Harold Holzer's book "Why Lincoln Matters."

I'm not an artist or art critic by any means, but I think this is beautiful and wanted to share it with my readers.


3 comments:

DAG said...

Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

Jel said...

Oh, it is beautiful! Who'd have thought Tony Bennet was an artist as well?

I love your blog by the way! I'm currently making a body of work about Abe. I've got a question for you: what would Abe's fantasy world look like?

I've only recently begun reading about him, and I was struck by his character. I wanted to create a utopian, fantasy, silly world for him to enjoy because he endured so much sadness in his life. Any advice would be so appreciated, especially since you've been researching Abe for so long :)

Geoff Elliott said...

Hi eka,

Thanks for the interesting questions, and I'm sorry for not getting back to you earlier!

I think Abe's fantasy world would be one in which every person would have the same opportunities to achieve excellence in their life. No artificial barrier would be put in any person's way...not race, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnicity.

Certainly, there would be no slavery anywhere in the world. It exists even today in places like Africa, and the Far East, where even children work for practically no money.

I think his version of Utopia would include an endless amount of books for him to read, especially the classics like Shakespeare, Aesop's Fables, and biographies. These books intrigued him in life.

And on a very silly level, I think his version of paradise would be one in which his wife, Mary, would not be able to talk. :-)

 
History Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory