Lincoln 1860

Lincoln 1860

Monday, January 12, 2009

The Gettysburg Address For Orchestra And Narrator


A Connecticut composer and conductor has recently written "The Gettysburg Address" for orchestra and narrator. Mr. Richard Chiarappa sent me a nice email informing me about this musical piece, which will also feature narration of the complete text of Lincoln's famous address. The work is scheduled to be debuted in Connecticut sometime in March or October of this year, according to Mr. Chiarappa. He generously included a link to the orchestral music for this work, but narration will be added later this month. I've listened to the music and it is quite moving, incorporating portions of "Dixie" and "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic." I can't wait to hear it along with the narration.


Mr. Chiarappa is also the creator of a musical called "LINCOLN & BOOTH" which sets the conspiracy and assassination story to song. On the above link I provided, you can hear a duet ("Just Ourselves" sung by "Lincoln" and "Mary" before their departure to Ford's Theater the night of the assassination). Other characters in the musical feature Booth's co-conspirators, including Mary Surratt. This website shows scenes from the musical, and provides more background about the songs, etc. It's obvious that Mr. Chiarappa has done an extensive amount of research on the history of the assassination.


I am always interested in publicizing worthy exhibits, shows, displays, and theatrical performances concerning Abraham Lincoln. If the reader or anyone the reader knows has information which might interest other readers of The Abraham Lincoln Blog, please drop me a line. I can't promise to mention everything, but I'll do my best.

No comments:

 
History Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory