Lincoln 1860

Lincoln 1860

Friday, December 19, 2008

The Abraham Lincoln Blog At 200


As Mr. Lincoln's 200th birthday rapidly approaches (surely everyone knows by now that it is February 12, 2009), I hope the reader of his blog will permit a little self-indulgence today. This post is the 200th entry on The Abraham Lincoln Blog.

I was new to blogging when I began this blog about Mr. Lincoln in October 2007. I began it for fairly selfish reasons. I needed something productive to occupy far too much spare time. A life of watching too much television and net surfing too frequently was not accomplishing anything worthwhile. Since I'm a computer professional, I thought I'd venturing into the world of blogging. And since my true passion in life is everything related to Abraham Lincoln, I decided to blog about him.

Had I known that there were other Lincoln blogs and sites in existence, I would not have had the "courage" to begin another one. It was after my first 20 posts or so that I learned about Dr. Brian Dirck's wonderful "A. Lincoln Blog," and the superb Abraham Lincoln Research Site, by R. J. Norton. At that point, I nearly stopped this blog for fear that it was superfluous and not in the "league" of the others.

But I realized that in my attempt to provide knowledge to others about Lincoln, I was learning a lot more about him, too. I hadn't known much about the Lincoln-Douglas debates or about his life as a circuit-riding lawyer, for example. So I decided to keep this new Lincoln blog going and I'm happy I did.

Along the way, I've "met" some interesting people who have commented about my postings and I was given the opportunity to review an advance copy of a children's book about Abe. Above all, I've become good friends with a couple of other history bloggers. I'm surprised at the "publicity" the blog has received, including a link to it from the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission website. I'm even more surprised that it's received over 46,000 "hits" in the 14 months it's existed.

I thank everyone who has commented on posts, asked questions, offered suggestions, and gently corrected errors I've made. And I especially thank you for the continued interest in Abraham Lincoln.

9 comments:

Ann Tracy Mueller said...

Geoff,

Congratulations! Thanks for your enthusiasm for Lincoln. It's inspiring.

Ann

Jim said...

Congrats on the 200th post Geoff!! I'm glad that you decided to keep on blogging about the best president ever. Things may be written about him, and repeated, but never in the exact same way that you will do it. So keep on!

Rebecca said...

Congrats on 200 posts! I really enjoy finding out what's happening in the world of Lincoln through your blog. Are you planning anything special to celebrate Lincoln's 200th birthday in Feb.?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the 200! You are a very inspiring blogger and I for one am very happy that you kept your blog up! Keep em coming!

Anonymous said...

Hi Geoff,
I am Brazilian but I am a Lincoln buff, too. I have almost 100 books about that Great President, in English and in Portuguese.
I intend to make a blog about Lincoln but in Portuguese, so that my students can learn a little about the Great Abe.
Sebastiao Albano
s.albano@ymail.com

Jason M. Rubin said...

I enjoy your blog very much. It's quite comprehensive and update at an impressive rate. Best wishes for the future.

Anonymous said...

What a great blog! I really enjoy your entries and numerous topics relating to Abraham Lincoln!

Here at the Columbus-Lowndes Public Library in Columbus, Mississippi we are hosting the nationally traveling exhibit "Forever Free: Abraham Lincoln's Journey to Emancipation" this February 5-March 20. There will be numerous events and speakers all during the time of Lincoln's bicentennial. Check out our blog on this upcoming exhibit and see what you think!

http://lowndeslibforeverfree.wordpress.com

Mona
Archivist
Columbus-Lowndes Public Library
www.lowndes.lib.ms.us

Geoff Elliott said...

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging and thoughtful comments. They help me keep going with this blog when I sometimes encounter "blogger's block" and can't think of something new to write about.

It's an exciting time for all Lincoln enthusiasts as we are just 30 days away from his 200th birthday.

Lincoln still can teach us important lessons, especially the lesson of hard work and dedication to improving oneself.

Once again, thank you for reading my blog and for your wonderful words.

Sincerely,

Geoff

Anonymous said...

Geoff, Congratulations - your work is appreciated. I discovered your blog when I googled Mary Todd Lincoln and since then I've become a frequent visitor. I'll bet you'll get more fans this bicentennial year the same way I discovered you. You have added so much to my enthusiasm for Lincoln's bicentennial. Thank you!

 
History Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory