Lincoln 1860

Lincoln 1860

Monday, October 20, 2008

Presidential Art Exhibition In Cooperstown New York


In addition to being fascinated by Abraham Lincoln, I'm also keenly interested in the rest of the presidents of the United States and their life stories. An exhibition being held in Cooperstown, New York at the Fenimore Art Museum has caught my attention.

Titled "Of, By and For the People: The Art Of Presidential Elections", the exhibition opened last month at the museum. The exhibit features rare folk art from 19th century presidential campaigns. The artwork comes from other museums and private collections from around the country, and includes pottery, needlework, paintings, and other items.

The image I've posted here is obviously of Abraham Lincoln from the 1864 election when Andrew Johnson was his running mate. It was painted by Issac Weatherby of Iowa City, Iowa and is part of the Putnam Museum. The banner is one of the centerpieces of the exhibition in Cooperstown.

I'm a bit disappointed in the Fenimore Art Museum webpage about the exhibition. It would have been nice if it would show more than this banner and one other piece of art. No mention is made just how many artifacts are on display, so I don't know if it's worth seeing or not. I just thought this banner of Lincoln is beautiful and I wanted to share.

The exhibition closes December 31, 2008.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was good exhibition

Christy said...

That is a beautiful banner. I wish that reproductions of pieces like that were available today. I would love to have some.

 
History Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory