Lincoln 1860

Lincoln 1860

Monday, February 16, 2009

Stealing Lincoln's Body Debuts On History Channel

A new Lincoln television special debuts tonight (Feb. 16, 2009) on The History Channel at 9:00 p.m. Eastern/8:00 p.m. Central. Titled "Stealing Lincoln's Body," the two hour special documents the bizarre 1870's plot by counterfeiters to steal the body of Abraham Lincoln in order to free their compatriot in crime.

I posted previously (Jan. 5, 2008) about this strange episode in Lincoln history with details that I won't repeat here. Instead, I'll just share a link here to a two minute preview of tonight's special. In this preview, you'll see what looks to be a simple re-enactment by an actor portraying Lincoln. Not exactly. These are incredible digital recreations of Lincoln based on existing photos. For the first time, we have a reasonable recreation of what Lincoln might have looked like as he was walking or otherwise moving.

The company behind this technology is Studio Macbeth, which runs a blog about the new photos and "film" it creates featuring an extremely realistic Mr. Lincoln. Thanks to Maria of Studio Macbeth for bringing it to my attention.

1 comment:

abelincoln1809 said...

I can't wait to see this! When I saw the preview on TV, I was like, "Wow! Lincoln's come back to do a commercial!"

 
History Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory