Lincoln 1860

Lincoln 1860

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Lincoln Weekend In Washington

I returned home last night from what can truly be called "A Lincoln Weekend" spent in Washington, D.C. The purpose of the 4-day weekend, a Christmas gift from my wife Pinar, was to take in the sites and sounds of the celebrations going on in Washington as the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth rapidly approaches. It was a memorable weekend for me, one of the best mini-vacations I've ever taken.

We began the weekend by visiting Mr. Lincoln's Memorial, my favorite spot on Earth. I've been to Washington countless times, but I always make it a point to see the Memorial in order to take in the sheer beauty of the temple. I read The Gettysburg Address and the Second Inaugural Address inscribed on its walls. And I always take more than a few minutes to stare at the imposing statue of Lincoln. The sight never ceases to move me in a way I cannot put into words.

This weekend, though, there was far more to be seen related to Lincoln. The next stop was the Smithsonian National Museum Of American History in order to experience the exhibit Abraham Lincoln: An Extraordinary Life. The exhibit itself is extraordinary and I will be posting an in-depth review within the next day or two. It is not to be missed.

We took in more about President Lincoln the next day at the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery in order to see the exhibit One Life: The Mask Of Lincoln. This exhibit features very rare images and prints of Lincoln depicting important events in his life. I'll be posting a separate review about this exhibit as well. It is also not to be missed

On Monday evening, we delighted in an absolutely superb performance at The Kennedy Center For The Performing Arts. Our Lincoln featured a cast of 400 performers ranging from singers to musicians to dancers, combining to tell Abraham Lincoln's unique journey. The performance was simply stunning. I'll post a detailed review on this performance soon.

I had mentioned all of the goings on in Washington just briefly to my wife, who took it as an opportunity to give me such a beautiful weekend. My readers should know that she is not a history buff, so for her to do this for me was very special. Thank you, dear. It was a weekend I shall never forget.

2 comments:

Jason M. Rubin said...

Peease note two recent blog posts of mine pertaining to Lincoln, dated February 3 and January 26; the latter is about my first visit to the Lincoln Memorial in 1971.
http://dovenestedtowers.blogspot.com/

Abigail said...

I just started reading your blog just a few weeks ago and am not sure where you live but I wanted to invite you to join me for a special Lincoln event. I am one of the staff members for the Abraham Lincoln Mobile Museum that is from the ALPLM. We are stopped in West Springfield, VA on Saturday and will be open from 10-2. I would like to invite you to see how we share the Lincoln legacy with the nation.

 
History Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory