Lincoln 1860

Lincoln 1860

Friday, February 13, 2009

Abraham Lincoln In Cupcakes?


I've been posting so many "serious" items about Abraham Lincoln recently that I thought it would be refreshing for my readers (and for me) if I posted something sort of fun for this entry.

My friend Christy (from the Mystic Chords Of Memory blog) sent me a link today about a special event being held tomorrow (February 14, 2009) at the Smithsonian American Art Museum. "Presidential Cupcakes" is the name of the (very) temporary exhibit to be shown for only one day.

Artist and baker Zilly Rosens will create "A New Birth Of Freedom" entirely out of cupcakes, using only flour, fondant, and frosting. The work will feature portraits (again, made entirely of cupcakes) of President Obama to honor his recent inauguration and of Abraham Lincoln, to honor the 200th anniversary of his birth.

The installation and display may be watched here tomorrow (February 14) between 12:00 noon and 6:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. The photo I've included in this post was a screenshot my friend sent me earlier today. You can see that the images are going to look very realistic. Amazing that these are edible images!

After the exhibit is complete tomorrow, the museum is inviting guests to help disassemble the work by enjoying it as a tasty treat. Of all the tributes to Presidents Lincoln and Obama, this might be one of the most unusual, but also one of the most fun.

UPDATE: Below is a screenshot from February 14, 2009 of the finished artwork in cupcakes depicting Presidents Obama and Lincoln. Remarkable!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

That looks delicious! A great conbination of commemorating history and getting a sugar high - you can't beat that! :)

Jim said...

Next thought: Lincoln. Obama. Lego. Discuss. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Geoff,
Did you get by Archives the Emancipation Proclamation? I have some dim photos up on my blog

Rovere Publishing said...

not sure if this is relevant to your blog or if you would want to post. But here is another modern version of classic Lincoln image we have created

at www.alincoln2009.com
Great blog
John

 
History Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory