Lincoln 1860

Lincoln 1860

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Abe In Etch A Sketch(R) Portrait

Here is an incredible piece of art featuring Mr. Lincoln and President Obama, done entirely with an "Etch A Sketch"(R) toy. This was done by an artist in honor of Black History Month, celebrated in February of every year. I can't find any information about just who created this masterpiece.

Etch A Sketch(R) has been a longtime favorite toy produced by Ohio Art. The name is registered.

I just wanted to share this with my readers. I don't about you, but I can't create even a straight line with these things, let alone something amazing like this.

4 comments:

Abigail said...

That is just plain cool. Abe truck will be in IL for the month or March. I am leaving this tour Saturday.

Kathy said...

Wow! Is there a higher-res copy of this somewhere out there? I'd love to get a better look at how it was made--especially the circle for the Presidential Seal.

Geoff Elliott said...

Kathy, I'm sorry but that's the only picture of this I've been able to find. I don't even have the name of the artist who created it. It's beautiful, isn't it?

Dave Wiegers said...

Here is some info on the Etch-a-Sketch Obama

Obama Immortalized in
Etch-a-Sketch
Last Edited: Monday, 02 Mar 2009, 6:50 PM EST
Created On: Monday, 02 Mar 2009, 5:45 PM EST

By ANTHONY BARTKEWICZ, MyFox National
- Artist George Vlosich III works in multiple media, including paint and pencil, but he's best known for the works he's created on the Etch-a-Sketch . Now, Vlosich has unveiled an Etch-a-Sketch portrait of president Barack Obama.

The portrait was put on display as part of MANIFEST HOPE , an exhibition of Obama-related art curated by Shepard Fairey, who created the famous "HOPE" poster used in Obama's presidential campaign.

Vlosich has previously created Etch-a-Sketch portraits of celebrities like Michael Jordan, Will Smith and President Bill Clinton.

"Over the years I've had the opportunity to meet some of the world's greatest athletes and celebrities," he wrote on his Web site. "And the funny thing is, as much as I'm impressed with them, when they've seen my work, they wind up being impressed with me!" Vlosich's site features video of the creation of another Etch-a-Sketch Obama portrait.

 
History Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory